According to AWS D1.1 whereby it is established that the WPS written per code will produce welds with correct mechanical and metallurgical properties. It is not necessary to prepare a PQR in such cases. However, the pre-qualified WPS have a specified range of parameters under which the weld must be produced. When welding variables fall outside these ranges, a WPS with supporting PQR must be prepared.
It is required when it is necessary to demonstrate that your company has the ability to produce welds possessing the correct mechanical and metallurgical properties.
Once the procedure is approved it is necessary to demonstrate that all your welders working to it have the required knowledge and skill to put down a clean sound weld. If the welder has satisfactorily completed the procedure test, then he is automatically approved but each additional welder must be approved by completing an approval test to an appropriate standard. After successfully completion of Test UIC will provide Welder qualification test certificate(WQT) & Welder Card.
UIC is well equipped with experienced and certified welding inspectors, welding engineers and welding experts to perform various welding related inspections activities. The team consists of AWS-CWI, CSWIP, internationally certified welding inspectors having vast field experience in welding with leading fabrication companies and third party inspection companies in KSA and abroad.
• Planning the tasks
• Collecting the data
• Writing a procedure for use of for trial
• Making a test welds
• Evaluating the results
• Approving the procedure
• Preparing the documentation
After the testing is completed and all the relevant results collated, the results need to be assessed in accordance with the relevant code/standard. The results are then generally recorded in following documents:
Before procedure approval.
After procedure approval
Welding procedure test record
Welder qualification test record
• To give maximum confidence that the welds mechanical and metallurgical properties meet the requirements of the applicable code/specification.
• Each welding procedure will show a range to which the procedure is approved (extent of approval)
• If a customer queries the approval evidence can be supplied to prove its validity
1. Preparing Welding Procedure specifications(WPS) as per codes and standards
2. Witnessing, third party inspection of welder qualifications tests
3. Preparing WPS, PQR, WQT
4. Analysis of Mechanical and metallurgical tests
5. Carrying out Radiography (Gamma r-ray) Ultrasonic inspection, magnetic particle inspection, liquid penetrant inspection, visual inspection and other NDT inspection tests
6. Training of welders on various welding processes
7. Conducting AWS-CWI and other welding inspector certification(CSWIP) exam preparatory courses.
1. ASME Sec IX (Boiler and pressure vessel code)
2. AWS D1.1(Structural Welding of steels)